Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Week In Review 12.15.13

Another week another race!  This Sunday it's the Marathon Sports Jingle Bell run in Somerville, but before that there is some training to attend to.

Monday when I awoke was snowy and nasty so I decided it wasn't worth possibly getting hurt and skipped that day making Tuesday day one for me.  What I didn't know was Tuesday would be worse!  The temp was hovering right around freezing and everything that fell or melted yesterday was frozen up making runny tricky.  I really didn't want to run on the treadmill, but wish I had.  My pace was slow as I had to watch my footing, and I decided to call it quits early after running on the track infield so I could get some traction.  Next time I know.  3.1 mi in 35:35 an 11:30 pace.

Wednesday I hit the gym after it snowed most of the day before.  I put the treadmill at a 1% incline started off at an 10:30(and a half) pace for the first two miles then ran at a pace between 9:31 and 9:40 for 5K to get ready for Sunday's race (if it doesn't snow like its supposed to).  5.1 mi in 50:35 a 9:55 pace

Thursday I headed out on probably the coldest run of the year.  It was about 20 degrees and it took over 2 miles before my hands got warm.  I stuck to the streets around my house after a trip to the track only to find out that it was half covered in a thin coat of ice and snow.  Pace was good and probably would have been better if not for that one slow lap around the track to check it out (you need to be careful on those slippery parts!).  5 mi in 51:35 a 10:19 pace

Saturday I headed out and the thermometer read 11 degrees.  I started early because the snow was supposed to start falling around noon with the plan of running to the gym and meeting Julie at Panera for lunch.  I headed down towards Waltham and made may over to the Charles.  I was planning on taking the trail along the river but found it covered in packed snow and ice so I had to detour out to Nonantum.  The mid-run course change was good in that I wouldn't have to run past the gym to get my 7 miles, but it was bad in that it was certainly less scenic.  It was also about this point that my face felt REALLY cold.  I started taking my hat off every mile or so and holding to my face for a couple of minutes to make sure I wasn't going to get frostbite.  I made my way out and down route 16 to Watertown square where I had just under a two miles to go.  I made may way up towards the gym and arrived with about half a mile to go so I circled the parking lot until my 7 miles were done. When I got to the gym Julie had just gotten there with her friend Archana so I had some time to kill.  I started a bit of strength training which I'm going to try and incorporate into my training including some leg killing lunges.  Overall with my speedy pace and the addition of addtional work I feel really good about my chances of breaking 5 hours in April.  Once done we headed over to Panera for some soup before heading home as the flakes started flying.  7 mi in 1:11:38 a 10:14 pace

Sunday's race was postponed due to the snow so you'll get to hear about it next week!

Miles run last week 20.2



Miles run this year 979.2

Miles left to 1K in 2013: 20.8 (10.4 miles per week over the next 2 weeks down 3.27 mi from last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment